Facts about Diabetes in India
- Surprisingly 35% diabetic people are not even aware that they have diabetes.
- The number people with diabetes in India currently more than 6.20 Crore, Which is expected to cross 10 crore mark by 2030.
- 10 Lakh Indians die every year due to diabetes related complications. Others suffer whole life with a variety of disease.
Complications of Diabetes
Mouth (Oral cavity)
- Swelling of gums (Gingivitis),
- Dental cavities, Gum bleeding,
- Mouth dryness with Burning sensation &
- Fungal infection
- (Oral Candidiasis)
Heart (Cardiovascular System)
- Cardiac muscles become swollen & damaged
- (Cardiomegaly & Myocardial Ischemia),
- Narrowing of blood vessels,
- Increased cardiac workload & weakening of the heart
Kidneys (Renal System)
- Diabetic nephropathy,
- Affects or damages small blood vessels (Capillaries),
- Capacity of the kidneys to remove waste products will be altered & leads to Renal Failure or Nonfunctional Kidney.
- Women: Vaginal dryness & infection
- Men: Erectile dysfunction
Peripheral Nervous System
- Diabetic Neuropathy, Muscle wasting,
- Neuronal damage & Sensory deprivation.
Brain (Central Nervous System)
- Blockage of blood vessels (Thrombosis),
- Brain cell damage (Cerebral ischemia) &
- Stroke (Cerebro-vascular accident)
- Diabetic Retinopathy- damage to retinal capillaries resulting in blindness.
Lungs (Respiratory System)
- Decreased levels of Oxygen,
- Impaired gaseous exchange leading to chronic infections.
Stomach (Gastro Intestinal System)
- Affects digestion, causes Heart burn, Constipation & diarrhea
Legs (Lower Extremities)
- Sensory deprivation causing pain, numbness & tingling.